Hi guys! I have a real backlog of things to show you. I’ve been putting this one off mostly because it isn’t that exciting to me. I finished it back in March and then decided that I didn’t like the length it ended up at. I finally got the heart to fix it, and then ultimately finished it in April. And then just finally took pictures of it in June! A black worsted weight sweater just in time for summer!
My Rav page here.
Pattern: Svalbard by Bristol Ivy
Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Soot Kettle Dyed, just under 10 balls.
Needles: US 6 and US 7
Start Date: February 4, 2014
Finish Date: April 18, 2014
I fell in love with this pattern as soon as I saw it. And then I won a free pattern of my choice from the Just One More Row podcast and got this one. I wanted it to have the same proportions on me as it did on the tall model. I also had a little bit less yarn than the pattern called for. So I shortened the body by a few inches. It seemed to fit perfectly when I was done with the body and sleeves. Then I knit all of the ribbed edgings. After blocking, my sweater just looked kind of weird. Here’s a bathroom mirror shot of how it first looked:
The perfect length in the back, but sooo high in the front. And the fact that it is loose and swingy made it pretty unflattering at that height. The ribbing is so deep that it really emphasizes how high the fronts are. It sat around for a month until I felt like ripping out all of the edgings so that I could add length to it.
When I came back to it, I decided to do short rows in the front so that it kept about the same length in the back, but just added to the fronts. I pretty much wrapped and turned every four rows between the front and the armhole. This added quite a bit of length to the front. And the short rows are really disguised by the cartridge rib pattern.
In the end, do I love it? Eh. It really does end up feeling like a lot of bulk in the front of my body. The armhole is a little deep so it just feels like there is a lot of fabric in the front by my armholes. I do love the side and back views of it. Just not the most flattering sweater.
I love the back detail where it switches from stockinette to 1×1 ribbing to cartridge ribbing in a V shape. The pattern was pretty ingenious, but is written out in a way that is fairly confusing. Lots of switching from the instruction page to the stitch pattern page.
These photos were taken at the Portland Rose Garden. I’ve never been crazy about roses, but was pretty blown away with how beautiful the rows and rows of flowers were. Lucas is still unimpressed with roses. We went up to the Northwest for a week to visit my parents in Portland/Camas and then traveled up to Olympia and Seattle to see friends. I am sure I have a NW post in me, but we’ll see. 🙂