FO: Waneka Cowl

I am at a place in both of my knitting projects where everything is conspiring against me.  I broke my tiny crochet hook for beading and am stalled on that.  I can’t find a store that carries them.  I can’t find the right contrast yarn for a pair of mittens because the first one I had is slightly too thick so I knit half a mitten and found out they are too big.  And both of these projects are holiday knitting, so I can’t just put them aside to work on something for me.  I am trying to use the floss threader thing for my beading, but the rhythm just isn’t catching.    Gah!

But before this knitting slump of the last week, I did finish some small items.  Photos are a little patchy, but we’ll make do.

Rav page here

Pattern: Waneka by Annie Watts

Yarn: Knit Picks Chroma Worsted in Mix Tape, about .8 balls.

Needles: US 11

I spent about the whole time I knit this second guessing it.  The pattern is a series of I-cords knit together.  The stitches on the needles get insanely loose.  I was worried this was because I wasn’t pulling my I-cord tight enough.  But it turns out that that is how it is supposed to be, and the stacks of rings kind of flop over and cover the loose stitches between.  I wish I could have just trusted that during the knitting instead of feeling like I was spending time on something that was going to have to be ripped out. In this picture of the back, you can see some of those loose stitches on the bottom green section.

If I had to do it over, I might use a slightly smaller needle.  It also helps to use bamboo needles or something a little sticky instead of the Boye aluminum needles that I used.  But I wasn’t about to buy new needles.  I would also recommend using rubber bands or little needle stoppers when you switch to DPNs because those loose stitches love to just slip right off.

I did seven total rings, but I think I had enough yarn to do 8.  The height turned out well though.  I haven’t blocked the cowl in any of these pictures, so some of those blips of bleed-through color from decreases might recede.

I took these crummy self pictures and was so sure that I would get better pictures later.  But the pictures that I had someone take were even less flattering, even in natural light.

I want you to know that my hair is slight wet, not super greasy here…  The inside of the cowl has a pretty cool look with those elongated stitches.

I hope my knitting mojo turns itself around this week.  I can’t handle any more gift knitting setbacks!  This cowl was part of the Indie Designer Gift-a-long on Ravelry, but it is all mine!



Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s