I finished up my last 2 items for the Epic Kal-Cal for Skein After Skein! I needed to finish a hat and a pair of gloves or mittens. Since I’ve been on a bonnet kick, I had to make another bonnet!
Hat pattern: Houndstooth Bonnet by Wendy Bernard from Knitscene Accessories,2012.
Yarn: Knit Picks Capra (DK weight) in Topaz and Sea Spray. I used two balls of the main color and one ball of the contrast for hat and mittens with a little bit left over.
Needles: US 5 for the colorwork, and US3 for the ribbing.
Hat Start Date: October 26, 2013
Finish Date: November 15, 2013
Notes: The colorwork portion of the bonnet is knit flat, which means stranding back and forth. That doesn’t bother me too much, but my tension on my left hand purling is pretty crappy which just means that it takes me longer than it would if I did it in the round. You pick up stitches to finish off the crown of the bonnet. The pattern has you decreasing every other row, but I didn’t love the puckered look of the crown in the original pattern. I changed to decreasing every two rows which gave me a larger crown. This is good because I have a head on the large side (something like 23″). The hat pattern is written for three sizes and I had trouble deciding which one to make. I ultimately knit the medium size, but with my mods in the back for a little extra room. (And not so much puckering!)
My only other mod was for the ties. The pattern has you knit a long I-cord and then sew it down to the bottom. I took the suggestion of another Raveller and knit I-cord for as long as I wanted the tie and then did an attached I-cord edging along the bottom of the bonnet and then continued with I-cord for the other tie. Much easier!
Now the mittens!
Mitten pattern: Houndstooth Check Mittens by Sarah H. Arnold – a free Rav pattern!
Yarn and Needles same as bonnet. I had ordered an extra ball of brown because I was worried about running out of the bonnet, but then decided to use it for mitts. For the record, you can make the bonnet with just under a skein of Capra (MC only), and the mittens for even less.
Start Date: November 14, 2013
Finish Date: November 17, 2013
I had been thinking about making matching mitts for my hat and then I stumbled upon this free pattern in the Anthopologie Mitten KAL. It used the same houndstooth stitch pattern and had the same gauge as my hat! (Though the pattern does call for thicker yarn.) I pretty much followed the pattern. Instead of starting the thumb gusset on the 6th row, I started it on the 2nd row. I wanted the wrist to be snug, and I was worried about how much yarn I had.
I had some problems with the directions, but some of that was due to the fact I printed it out in black and white and I wasn’t quite sure where the thumb was supposed to go. I think there was a red line indicating where, but I couldn’t see it. I just put it in the middle of the chart and then moved on. I ended up with an extra stitch on my thumb, I think, but that was good because it was a little snug. Otherwise no issues.
I love my vintage-y set! I feel like I am getting potentially weird looks on the street wearing my bonnet, but I don’t really care. It maybe looks a little dumb when the ties are tied, but that’s what needs to be done when it is windy and cold! My sister was flying through Los Angeles yesterday with a long afternoon layover, so she helped me take these pictures down in Manhattan Beach. A very quiet overcast day at the beach!