FO: Vivian

Done!

Pattern: Vivian by Ysolda Teague

My Rav Page here

Yarn: Cascade Ecological in colorway 8010, about 2.5 skeins.

Needles: US7

Start Date: January 1, 2013

Finish Date: March 12, 2013

Mods: A few.  There have been a ton of these made by other Ravellers, so I took some tips.  I changed my increases on the sleeves.  I started increasing earlier in the forearms, and then I stopped the decreases sooner so that I had four less stitches on each of the sleeves.  I was okay with the length of the arms, but they are probably longer than is practical.

I changed the hood quite a bit.  I used Felinity’s mods here.  They were super helpful.  As written, the hood is pretty small and not really big enough to wear up.  Felinity’s mods add a lot more rows, and a bunch of increases (and decreases) in the seed stitch panel on the back of the hood while still continuing the saddle cables up around the hood.  I am super happy with how it turned out!

At the top of the hood, I grafted the two sides together in pattern.  There are several ways to do this.  I decided that I was too lazy to look up the magazine with the information in it about how to do the kitchener stitch in pattern.  And I remembered a tip that I got from somewhere.  Probably from Lucy Neatby, via my Mom.  I knit another row of the pattern on both sides using a contrasting waste yarn.  Then instead of doing the kitchener stitch by rote, I followed the path of the contrast yarn through each stitch.  I think I will get some pictures of this to show you soon.

This was the first knit garment that I have ever sewn a zipper into.  I bought a 22″ separating Sport zipper in cream.  Following Grumperina‘s tips for putting in a zipper, I measured the length of the opening while wearing the sweater so that I didn’t get any buckling later.  I would have liked a 21″ zipper, but I went with what I had and had the zipper zip up a little higher than I planned.  I backstitched the zipper in by hand with cream thread.  Then I sewed aqua-ish grosgrain ribbon over the zipper tape.  Good lord, this took forever.  My needle was not very sharp and it was hard to puncture the zipper tape.  The ribbon was easier, but still tedious.  I am not into hand-sewing.  I was too nervous to try to do it on the sewing machine though.  The zipper isn’t perfect, but it is good enough for me!

And now I have a sweater to wear if I want to go bobsledding…

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “FO: Vivian

  1. Very impressive sweater!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s