This project seemed like it took forever! I sometimes find garter stitch slow, but maybe just because it grows so slowly height-wise. But done!
Handspun Scalene (public Ravelry page)
Pattern: Scalene by Carina Spencer
Yarn: My handspun yarn from Ashland Bay Merino in Sandalwood and Purple, maybe 4 oz of each.
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Finish Date: October 6, 2012
Mods: None intentionally. I used the purple as my “Color B” which means it is the color for the center section with the keyholes. I ran out of that yarn a little bit early, and was one garter ridge short for that section. And since I was out of purple, I wasn’t able to stripe the last section. I used Sandalwood exclusively until I ran out, a little bit before the pattern was done.
Ultimately, I think my yarn was thicker than fingering weight ( I used the middle numbers for fingering weight), so my shawl ended up a fair amount bigger than the schematic. Mine was something like 20″ x 60″. Actually, the purple is probably thinner than fingering and the sandalwood is more beefy, maybe almost a DK. Chalk it up to my early handspinning unevenness! I think that I’m glad I was able to use Sandalwood on its own, because it loses some of its depth when striped with the purple. Together the colors are a little more drab than I wanted, but I had been kind of obsessed with using these together.
One thing I would definitely do differently is to make sure my edges were loose. On one side you are increasing on every row. And carrying the unused yarn up along the side. I tried to keep it loose, but was not totally successful. Now it’s a little bit tight if I’m wrapping it around my shoulders. I afterwards read a tip of adding a yo on the right side, and then dropping it on the wrong side to create some extra room. I think that’s a pretty good idea.
And it is finally cooling down! Maybe I’ll get some wear out of my sweaters and scarves!