Yes, I am way behind on blogging about these projects. (My Mom disapproves!) It feels like once something is up on Ravelry for weeks there’s almost no point. But here we go.
My neverending Spring and Summer project was this:
Yarn: Lamb’s Pride Worsted in Bulldog Blue, Grey Heather, Ink Blue, Medieval Red, Wild Oak, Sunburst Gold and Creme. It took much more of the Main Color than I thought it would. That double layer collar and bands really ate up the yarn!
I started it in the beginning of April and it took me until the beginning of July. Part of the time it was on hold because I needed to buy more yarn or work on baby projects. There was a large chunk of time where I was stalled out because of the colors. I ended up buying yarn that looked like the colors of the chart key. But of course the yarn combinations together ended up being awfully contrasty.
The intial plan had the Sunburst Gold and the Wild Oak next to each other, and the Creme and the Ink Blue together. The gold and the brown together ended up being very 70s colors and not enough contrast and the white and the blue was too stark of a difference. I hemmed and hawed about it for a long time, but Melissa helped me figure out a better combination. When I look at it up close it seems a little bright, but I think it works pretty well overall. Especially when you stand back from the sweater.
This was my first time doing a slip-stitch/mosaic pattern. I understood the concept but I got very confused during the yoke pattern. The way the pattern changes, you will have to slip some stitches more than just two rows. The chart would show a new color, but I wasn’t working with that color yet. You just have to slip them and work them on the next set of rows. The rows will condense down and what was four rows of slipped stitches and knits will become two rows of just knits (or purls as the case may be).
I had some trouble picking a good size. I’m about a 36″ bust, or sometimes more. I thought there should be some ease, so I went to the next closest size and made the 39″. I think this is a good size for wearing stuff underneath. But I almost wish I had made the smaller size and then added afterthought button loops for closures. Let’s not even discuss how I’ve been irrationally making extremely warm sweaters with 3/4 length sleeves!
So, here she is:
I wish I had cropped my face out of that one, but don’t really have the energy for that.
My more recent finished winter project, are these knee socks:
Yarn: ShibuiKnits Sock in Chinese Red, about 2.6 skeins.
I made a few little mods. As written, the socks are a bit shorter than knee highs. I decided to go all the way. I didn’t cast on with the yarn doubled. I had the 5×1 ribbing match up with the 2×1 ribbing. This didn’t go very smoothly on the first sock, but I didn’t go back. I just fixed it on the second sock. I also did the calf decreases in pattern instead of in stockinette. I kept a little p1,k1,p1 down the back of the leg until the extra stitches were decreased out. To make the sock fit my calf, I changed needle sizes. I started with a 2.25mm for the top ribbing. Went to a 2.5mm for the lower ribbing, then went to a 2.75mm for the lace pattern. After the calf decreases, I decreased the needles down again for the ankle and foot. The pattern calls for a longer heel flap. I made it a traditional height of about 3o rows. I used the same directions, just picked up less stitches for the gusset and decreased at the same rate back to the original stitch count. I also used a wedge toe instead of the round toe.
I like them a lot, but have only found one outfit that they will go with. Maybe when the weather cools down a bit I’ll take them out.
These were my first pair of socks for the Sock Knitters Anonymous group on Ravelry. I am currently working on two pairs of socks for July/August.
It’s all socks and shawls for me right now. I am itching to make a garment but will have to wait.