Wow, I am super behind. The most news-worthy thing in my life right now, is that I got a new kitten! I adopted her almost a month ago from the West LA Animal Shelter. On WWKIP Day, in fact. I got a few minutes of knitting done at the shelter vet.
She was 8 weeks old when I got her, so old enough to be spayed. Seems awfully early to me, but I understand that the shelter wants to make sure it gets done. She was segregated in my bedroom for the first few days, and had to wear the cone for over a week!
I also had a horrible (to me) flea investation. I think Olivia’s first dose of Advantage didn’t work, or got absorbed by the gauze that holds the cone on. I had to reapply it a couple weeks later. I think that the whole fiasco is finally over, but I am still seeing an occasional flea. Gross. Everytime I think about it I get so itchy.
I am hoping that she’s going to be a long-hair, but I think she’ll probably be more of a medium hair. She’s a lot fuzzier than our other kitties were.
Most of my pictures of her are from the first two days. There’s a few more on my flickr account. My battery charger died and I wasn’t able to get new batteries until yesterday. She’s a bit bigger now, but not that much bigger. Now that her cone is off, she is very playful and a little bitey. Hopefully she’ll grow out of that phase! It makes it difficult to knit at home, since she’s always trying to bite the yarn. I think she’ll fit in well in my little family. She’s been playing with Paquito quite a bit. They haven’t started cuddling or grooming each other yet though.
In knitting news, I realize that I never blogged my Petal Halter.
Pattern: Petal Halter by Olga Buraya-Kefelian in Interweave Knits, Spring 2009
Yarn: Rowan Damask, less than 5 skeins.
Start Date: May 9, 2009
Finish Date: June 18, 2009
I started this as part of the Anthropologie Knits group Tank KAL. I am not totally pleased with it. The yarn is a little too busy for it. And all the finishing really was annoying. I ended up sewing the tubes together in the opposite direction, so my side seams aren’t exactly at the sides. I also shortened the straps, and picked up stitches and bound off for a tiny armhole edging. Before I blocked it, it was curling like gangbusters! It just looked like crazy tubes.
For next time, two totally winter articles of clothing that I just finished in the last week.