Monthly Archives: July 2009


Jill P.:

Wow, I am super behind.  The most news-worthy thing in my life right now, is that I got a new kitten!  I adopted her almost a month ago from the West LA Animal Shelter.  On WWKIP Day, in fact.  I got a few minutes of knitting done at the shelter vet.

She was 8 weeks old when I got her, so old enough to be spayed.  Seems awfully early to me, but I understand that the shelter wants to make sure it gets done.  She was segregated in my bedroom for the first few days, and had to wear the cone for over a week!

I also had a horrible (to me) flea investation.  I think Olivia’s first dose of Advantage didn’t work, or got absorbed by the gauze that holds the cone on.  I had to reapply it a couple weeks later.  I think that the whole fiasco is finally over, but I am still seeing an occasional flea.  Gross.  Everytime I think about it I get so itchy.

I am hoping that she’s going to be a long-hair, but I think she’ll probably be more of a medium hair.  She’s a lot fuzzier than our other kitties were.

Most of my pictures of her are from the first two days.  There’s a few more on my flickr account.  My battery charger died and I wasn’t able to get new batteries until yesterday.  She’s a bit bigger now, but not that much bigger.  Now that her cone is off, she is very playful and a little bitey.  Hopefully she’ll grow out of that phase!  It makes it difficult to knit at home, since she’s always trying to bite the yarn.  I think she’ll fit in well in my little family.  She’s been playing with Paquito quite a bit.  They haven’t started cuddling or grooming each other yet though.

In knitting news, I realize that I never blogged my Petal Halter.

Pattern: Petal Halter by Olga Buraya-Kefelian in Interweave Knits, Spring 2009

Yarn: Rowan Damask, less than 5 skeins.

Start Date: May 9, 2009

Finish Date: June 18, 2009

I started this as part of the Anthropologie Knits group Tank KAL.  I am not totally pleased with it.  The yarn is a little too busy for it.  And all the finishing really was annoying.  I ended up sewing the tubes together in the opposite direction, so my side seams aren’t exactly at the sides.  I also shortened the straps, and picked up stitches and bound off for a tiny armhole edging.  Before I blocked it, it was curling like gangbusters!  It just looked like crazy tubes.

For next time, two totally winter articles of clothing that I just finished in the last week.

Jill B.



Filed under Uncategorized