Hey Jill P.:
I’ve been slogging through a sweater, but it is taking forever! But I did just finish up another project that I’m eager to show off.
It is the #31 Lace Stockings by Mari Muinonen/Tikru that were in the Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2009.
The yarn was Knit Picks Essential Kettle-Dyed in Eggplant. I used a bit more than two balls. It took me about a month to do the pair.
There was a bit of a delay initially because Vogue didn’t publish all of the charts in the magazine. And there was some lag time in getting it up on the website. They went pretty quickly. A nice thing about lace socks is there are so few stitches. I usually use DPNs but I used two circulars for most of these. The lace pattern on the front doesn’t divide in half easily, so it was better to have them all on one needle.
If I were going to do them again, I would use a smaller gauge than recommended for the foot and ankle. I went with 6st/in and the foot was a little loose for me. I went down a needle size for the ankle and went back to the called for needle for the calf. It was exciting not to have to make these bigger than called for. I would also have put in one or two more repeats of the main lace pattern. I think I would have liked a taller stocking.
And I thought the Bettie’s Stockings looked trampy!
Yikes! I imagine I’ll be wearing these with longer skirts.
There were a few small mistakes in the charts. On the left side of Row 19 on Chart 2, there is, if I remember correctly, an extra stitch. Also on the left tip of the leaf/flower, it is sometimes a K3tog and sometimes a K3tog tbl.
I had some difficulty with the elastic at the top of the leg. I first tried weaving clear elastic bands through the “eyelet rows” at the top of the stocking. But there aren’t really any eyelet rows, and that just wasn’t working for me. I ended up using some black elastic sewing thread. On a non-cabled row, I would thread the elastic through the stitches on the needle like a lifeline. Then I would knit the stitches as normal. Except if there was a yo in the row that I thread through, then I knit the stitch and the elastic together. This way the thread is pulled up with the stitch and is not just going horizontally across the yarnover. It was too late for the first stocking, so I just thread the elastic through the back of the fabric in maybe 5 sections. I just knotted the elastic together at the end of the rounds. I needed to make it quite snug to stay up on my leg. If there was no elastic, the stocking would eventually just make its way down to my ankle. And by eventually I mean, like in two minutes. Here’s a close-up of the first stocking where I didn’t put the elastic in while knitting:
You can still see the elastic, but I decided it was good enough. I tried knitting the elastic thread in, but I wasn’t able to pull the elastic taut enough to do any good.
Overall I’m pleased with them. I hope they get some use. Other than that I just started my Petal Halter, and am still working on the Mosiac Yoke Jacket. I also have a baby present to get to really quickly. It is going to be a girl and she’s due in two weeks! I have no idea what to make!