Kid presents

Jill P.:

Here are the projects I had under wraps for a while.  Melissa’s baby Ben was turning 1.  I decided to knit him a present.   But my Mom has always taught me to make something for the older child too so they don’t get too jealous.  So Zach needed a gift too.

For Ben’s present, I made him a pair of pants.

Pattern: Kanoko Pants by Yumiko Sakurai

Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease in Taupe and Violet.  For the stripes I used some bits of TLC Cotton Plus in Cream and Gold.  I used less than a ball of each of the main colors, and not very much of the other ones.

I made the largest size.  They are kind of funny looking on, super wide-legged.  In my mind the colors were less circusy, but I still like them.  I didn’t do anything to combat jogs.  But when working in the ends I kind of smooshed them over into straighter lines.  With the accent colors I made sure to knit a row with the new color before the purl or seed stitch row.  That way you don’t get that weird coloring in the purl ridge.  The most annoying thing with this project was having to do the legs on DPNs and having stitches almost falling off each time.  A fifth DPN would have helped.

I wanted to do a small gift for Zach, but his ended up being maybe more time consuming than Ben’s.  Zach received:

Elefante!

Pattern: Elefante by Susan B. Anderson

Yarn: Wool of the Andes left over from my Road to Golden sweater in Daffodil, Avocado, Evergreen, Lullaby, Mink Heather and Cranberry.

I am super happy with how he turned out.  I just filled him with Polyfil.  I didn’t want to deal with the little weighting beads.  Instead of attempting the crochet ears, I followed the example of KnittingElephant (I think?!) on Ravelry and made garter stitch ears.  Then I picked up all around with a contrast color and bound off.  It leaves the little lines on the other side, but I don’t mind them.

I wasn’t able to get his little feet flat on the bottom.  Maybe if I had done less rounds on the feet, they wouldn’t pucker out so much.  The stripes were a little time consuming, but it was nice being able to just tie them on the inside.  The hardest part for me was sewing the head onto the body.  It was hard to know where it should be sewn to.  Now he has a little cocked head but I think it gives him character.  Kind of quizzical.

I have a lot of projects to blog about, but should try to space them out.  Next up is the finished Drop Collar Cabled Jacket.  And a few WIPs.  I am going to try to knit or crochet some wire earrings for my friend Adrienne.  Wish me luck!

Jill B.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s