Here is the other finished project I was telling you about. They are the Bettie’s Lace Stockings. I have decided to call them my Flower Lace Stockings, because the double possessive was a little annoying, and I think the stitch motif looks like flowers. This was one of those rare projects were I started as soon as I got the magazine. I’ve been working on knee socks for a while, with not good results. But these didn’t take any more yarn than regular socks. And they were a perfect occasion to use my STR Raven yarn!
Pattern: Bettie’s Lace Stockings by Hana Jason from Interweave Knits Spring 2009
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Lightweight in Korrpi, a smidge under 1 skein.
Sorry for the trampy pictures, but all of the ones with me standing were from a crazy angle and out of focus. I will maybe change the ribbons but I am not buying things and I wanted them to be finished.
So now the mods. After getting all excited about the pattern I realized that the pattern goes all the way around the foot. Those little flowers are a little chunky and probably not comfortable underfoot. I decided to make the soles solid. After I did the short row toe, I increased a total of four stitches over two rows on the bottom half. With a gauge of 6st/in this should match half of my foot circumference. I worked straight until I got to the heel. Because the sole is solid it was not as stretchy as the top of the foot. I ended up doing 2 extra repeats than in the pattern. From what I’ve been reading on Ravelry, this was not uncommon even with lacy soles. I did some discreet decreasing before and after the short row heel to get me back to the right number of stitches.
On the top of the foot, I had K, P, 4 st of feathered fagoting, P, 10 sts of narrow gathered lace, P, 4 sts of feathered fagoting, P, K. This centered the lace motif over the foot and was a lot less confusing than the pattern directions to center. I also didn’t pay enough attention and did k2tog instead of ssk. Is that regular fagoting? Maybe.
Here is an in-progress shot that kind of shows the sole. With a solid bottom you lose out on the cool flower on the side of the heel, but I’ll live with it.
Next came my calf mods. It is no secret that I have curvy calves. After some experimentation, I figured out the best rate of calf increases for me. After about 9 repeats, I switched to the wide lace pattern and went up a needle size. I knit a few more repeats and increased another needle. Then finally, I switched needle sizes again. Ending with a US4! Finally it could comfortably fit on my calf. I ended up with something like 20 repeats on the leg total.
I spent a couple of nights on the top edging. The purl rows they call for with a picot bind-off were way too loose. It was comical. I tried knit rows on a smaller needle and then the picot. But the picot just looked a little too cutesy. Not as good as some others I’ve seen. Ultimately I ended up with a couple knit rows, a yo row, then 3 more knit rows and a EZ sewn bind-off. The top rolls down a tiny bit, but not much because of the ribbon. I’m happy with the simpler edging.
And that’s the whole story! I don’t know when I’ll wear them, but they aren’t too chunkifying for knee socks so they might make it out.
Hope you’re having a good weekend!