I’m trying to get myself ready for Ravelympics by training/swatching. I had been planning on knitting the Road to Golden sweater from the Knitscene Fall 2007. I ordered KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in similar colors to the magazine a while back. I bought a few other colors in case I wanted to substitute. But the “golden” color I got ended up being too yellow. I guess the color name “daffodil” was a warning sign. The other colors I ordered are all darker colors. So now I have to figure out what to do in the next day. Today is the last day to sign up for Ravelympics events. Do I use the yarn I have, overdye the yellow or order a different color? If I order more yarn, I should probably just withdraw from my events. Or maybe enter with a different item. And why am I worrying about the Ravelympics? Why don’t I just set my own goals? I’m not dying to get the badge for the blog.
Okay, so here’s a blocked (kind of) swatch of what I have right now:
I don’t hate it, but I think I’d like it with something a little richer in color. My other option is the Wool of the Andes Kettle Dyed in Gold. Should I be concerned that it’s a little variegated? Would it show up weird? By the way, I love this base yarn color, Mink Heather.
If I pick another project, it will probably the the Ribbed Mini Dress by Mari Lynn Patrick from Vogue Spring 2007.
This would still be a challenge in the time frame. Gah! I just want to get this all sorted out. Help!
I’ve also been attempting to make/design a strapless dress out of a shit-load of ribbon yarn that I have at home. I’m not loving it, and want to give up on it already. I’m making it in the round, top-down with a basic slip stitch pattern. It looks a little bulky and I’m not sure how flattering it will look. There will be elastic in the top. I wonder if it will be super heavy.
In finished news, I made another baby hat! This one is for my sister’s friend who just had a baby this morning.
It’s the Chicken Viking Hat by Sarah Mundy knit in TLC Cotton Plus. It used about half a ball, maybe a little bit more. My gauge is a little tighter than recommended, so a little bit smaller than 6-12 months. Following the pattern, I picked up on the wrong side for the earflaps, so the ridge is on the outside. I don’t really mind it, and it kind of adds to the viking hat look, I suppose. The drumsticks were a little awkward. I had trouble following the pattern on how to reverse the second drumstick, so I experimented with it. Just made sure my short rows were facing the right direction. The pattern says to “turn” on the short rows, but you really need to wrap and turn. Without it, you can see the stuffing through the holes.
I’m pretty happy with it. Maybe I can get Ben to model it before I send it off. =)
Okay, thanks for the suggestions in advance!