I’ve been vigilantly working on a couple of projects. I started the Featherlight Lingerie Dress from the Lace Style book. It’s like a little top with a kerchief hem skirt on it. I’m using the Rowan Kid Silk Haze that it calls for. I however only have four balls, but the medium calls for five. I’m trying to fudge it and knit the skirt in the small size and the bodice in a medium and hope that’ll do it. I could always track more yarn down, or do the hem in a contrast color if I want to. I’m using stash yarn (kind of, I had to buy a bit more recently) so it’s in bright pink. Maybe not my first choice in colors for it. Here’s what I had as of last week:
Yep, just plain stockinette. For ten inches! And that’s just the first half of the skirt. Boo. I’m almost there though. But this will take me a while. I also knit much slower using KSH because I have to look at almost every stitch.
The other project I’ve been working on is Norah Gaughan’s Capecho from Vogue Knitting Winter 2006/07. It’s the one that everyone was pissed about because it doesn’t actually fit like in the cover picture. It’s a modular knit, made of cabled pentagons. This is one project that ravelry totally had my back on. I used the modifications that another knitter had done and they worked out pretty well. The mods are here. There is one fewer pentagon on the top row and some other bits added to close the gaps under the arms. I knit the XS size knowing that it was going to be too big. I finished it late last night. I still need to sew on a button, but I might need advice about where to put it. I kind of like using a shawl pin to keep it closed instead. It turned out a little bit bigger than I would prefer but I’m super happy with it. The collar is a little cowl-like, but I knew that going into it. For whatever reason my hands have been super shaky, I guess, so I can’t get an in-focus picture to save my life. But here’s some blurry ones!
And the color is more like this one:
I used about 9.5 balls of Karabella Aurora 8, knit on size US8 needles. I’m going to try to get some better pictures eventually, but I may not get around to posting them again. I will put them on my ravelry projects though.
I wasn’t planning on using pink for this project either. But when Suss Designs had it’s big moving sale last year I found five balls of Aurora 8 in the dollar bin. I just needed to do some untangling. (I love untangling!) Then I saw the same color at Yarns Unlimited for not too expensive so I snatched it up. I did have to go back for the last ball yesterday though because I never plan ahead with the right amount of yarn. The collar took almost two balls of yarn. It was a bit of a surprise.
Now that I’m done with this, I think I’m ready to cast on for Laminaria! Let the KAL begin! I’m going to try to finish the first half of my lingerie dress skirt done tonight and be ready to start some lace knitting tomorrow.
Today I went to the Pierce College Farm Walk. I demonstrated spinning from 9:30 to 3:30. I worked on some more of that alpaca fleece. But that meant handcarding and spinning. I didn’t like having to explain what I was doing with the carding, because I’m not that experienced with it. There were maybe five other spinners there. A couple of people that I already knew from GLASG, Karen and Myrna. I snagged most of a Dorset fleece. It might be a crappy one, I can’t tell. It was a ram’s first shear, so maybe it’s okay. I felt kind of frantic and just started shoving parts of it in a bag. I probably accidentally just grabbed neck hair. I wasn’t able to lay it out flat first or anything. It’ll also probably sit in my car for months. It’s kind of a lot of fiber.
I can’t wait for our SnB tomorrow night! See you then!