Hey Jill P.,
I had a lot of crafting time the last couple of weekends. The tooth extraction went pretty smoothly. Because the Vicodin made me sick I just took Advil. I didn’t even get very puffy. I just looked like I did in high school, little round baby fat face. The main downside was that I was getting a lot of headaches, which made watching TV and knitting at the same time difficult. I still tried to do it a bit. It was easier to do with movies I’d seen before than something I needed to concentrate on, like season one of The Wire. I was still pretty productive. I read an entire book, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, knit a lace shawl (a baby one) and did quite a bit of spinning! I finished the Ostrich Plume Shawl. I couldn’t tell how big it was, and I didn’t want to crack into a second skein of yarn. In hindsight I would have gone a little longer on it. It’s done but it’s tiny! Just a little shoulder shawl I guess.
I don’t have any pictures of me wearing it. It’s goes down a little past my waist and I would just barely be able to tie it in the front.
On the spinning front, I pulled out the alpaca fleece that my Mom got me at OFFF. I had drumcarded a bit at your house before, but the rest was still chilling out. So I handcarded (my first time!) maybe an ounce. I then spun singles, using a worsted type draw, but allowing the twist to travel into the fiber. So maybe a woolen draw but inching along…? I then plied the singles, making a 2-ply yarn. So now I have two skeins of yarn (counting one from another time), and about 10 ounces more fiber! It’s a little daunting. Here’s one of the finished skeins:
I also finished the Merino/Tencel yarn. I bought the fiber from The Dizzy Ewe. I had a lot of trouble getting an even thread. It was a lot easier with the stickier alpaca.
Right after taking these pictures, Paquito darted out of the apartment and scared the crap out of me. I was able to sneak up on him and grab him. Then I yelled at him and he was still pouting when I got home nine hours later.
This last weekend I just had nothing to do, so knit quite a bit. I finished the Clapotis. I used Brooks Farm Yarn Duet. I went about two repeats shorter than the pattern. I somehow made a good guess about when to start decreasing and used almost all of my yarn without running out.
Double chin alert!:
The yarn is mohair and wool, and the one ply wraps around the other. The mohair does shed quite a bit.
I’m working on a shrug right now. I finished the side to side part but now need to pick up for ribbing all around the outside of it. Should be done this weekend. I’ll post pictures then.
Here’s a full picture of me wearing the Cross Strap Tank. I was hoping for outside pictures, but beggars can’t be choosers.
I think it looks better in real life. At least I hope so!
Okay I’m late for work! I’ve been pretty busy with a rush Bette Davis project at work and haven’t had time for blogging or blog reading. But hopefully I’ll get a handle on the work soon. See you tomorrow at the GLASG meeting!